Are you moving into your dorm this semester? There are so many things to pack and buy before starting your life in your dorm. Are you sure you have covered everything? If you are not sure, you are at the right place. I have bought the ultimate college must haves list that you should not forget to bring to your dorm.
Let us divide your stuff into some categories ( Study Space, Laundry Supplies, Study Supplies and Gadgets)
Your study space needs to have all the required items to make it a productive powerhouse. You would not want anything distracting but would like to decorate it to look very appealing. It would be hard to set up a perfectly ambient study environment if you don’t have all the essential study space items.
1) Standing desk: Your standing desk is going to be the centre of your entire study space. If you are willing to spend on it, I would recommend the ones which you can convert from a sitting desk to a standing desk. These standing desks can give you a little more flexibility in movement if you spend long hours at your desk.
2) Chair: Every desk is going to require a chair with it. Do not buy cheap, uncomfortable chairs. This is a big red flag because you would be spending many hours each day on your chair. If your chair is not comfortable, you will have a rough time studying in your study space.
5) Alarm clock: Yes, yes. I know that you probably already have a phone which has its own alarm clock. But a physical-mechanical alarm clock can help you keep on track of time. Make sure to get one of the most annoying alarm clocks if you want to wake up early in the morning.
6) Calendar: Again, yes, you have a calendar on your phone. But a physical calendar is always a great way to keep track of the important assignment deadlines by marking them red on the calendar. It also improves the ambience of your study space
Laundry supplies/ Linen :
7)Extra set of sheets: Accidents don’t happen every day, and you probably can’t even guess it when you spill the coffee over your new sheets. So just of backup, always have an extra set of sheets so that you don’t have to do laundry at an odd time. It can also help to accommodate if any new guests come by to visit you.
14) Tablet: You would definitely need some device to store all your notes and lectures. Although you can buy yourself a laptop, my recommendation would be to get a tablet because it is much more portable and serves all the purposes of a laptop. Get yourself a budget Ipad (best option) You can also think of getting yourself a Galaxy Tab if you are not into Apple products
15) Active Noise Cancellation Headphones: When you live with 2-3 persons in a room, it could be hard to concentrate on your studies because you have different schedules. Getting a noise-cancelling headphone will not only offer you to eliminate external noise but also offer you the perfect quiet environment for your study sessions.
21) Extra phone charger: Phone chargers are one of the things that you cannot live without. Your charge may run out of order, or you might misplace it any day. Our lives mostly revolve around our phones, so if you don’t have your charger working, your lives just might stop. You don’t want that to happen.
27) Planner: If you are into making good study schedules, I’m sure a planner is something that would improve your productivity. If you have never tried them before, why not start today?
40) Storage bins: Now, when you first move in, you might think you would not need much of a storage room. But as time goes by, you start accumulating loads of stuff, and there is no place to keep them. Don’t make your room a mess; keep extra storage by buying a storage bin or something of this sort.
Here are some more things that I wish you would take with you but giving you a friendly reminder
- Toiletries: Toothpaste, toothbrush, Cotton buds, Razor, Shaving cream, Soap, Shampoo
- Medicine: Some OTC drugs like aspirin, antacids, vitamins, adhesive band-aids, cough drops etc.
- Personal care: Cotton swabs, lotion, hair styling products, comb, Nail clippers,
- Clothes: Anything you prefer + some formal clothes for special occasions.
Here is the complete college must haves list :
- Standing desk:
- Post-it notes
- Table lamp
- Alarm clock
- Extra set of sheets
- A rug
- pile of pillows and blankets
- Laundry Hamper:
- Clothes hanger
- Mini Sewing Kit
- Active Noise Cancellation Headphones
- Ethernet cord
- AA and AAA batteries:
- Extra phone charger
- Stapler and Three-Hole Punch
- Paper Clips
- Pens and pencils
- A Minifridge
- A coffee maker:
- Big microwave bowl
- A water filter
- Trash can
- An umbrella
- Air Freshener Spray
- Storage bins:
- Lap desk:
Is there anything that I have missed? Let me know in the comments.
1 thought on “College Must Haves List: 45+ things you need for this semester”